The Latin Diocese of Neyyatinkara was erected by His Holiness Pope John Paul II by the Bull "Ad Aptius Provehendum" dated June 14, 1996. The origin of Christianity in this area dates back to 1600 A.D. The people who received baptism from St. Francis Xavier came and settled in Neyyatinkara, Amaravila and Parassala. In 1698 attempts were made to start Church work at Nemom. In 1707 Nemom Church work was started by a Jesuit Father, Fr Serveria Borgis. The first converts were from the Nair Community. The first church in this diocese was erected in 1755 at Amaravila.
Widespread Church work in the diocese began at the dawn of the present century. It was the saintly Abp Aloysius Maria Benziger ocd, the Co-adjutor Bishop of Quilon in 1900 and Bishop in 1905, who propagated Christian faith in the diocese. His saintly life, powerful leadership, missionary zeal and generous assistance to Fathers paved the way to the formation of several ecclesial communities and erection of many churches.
The erection of the new Diocese of Neyyatinkara and the appointment of Bp Vincent Samuel as its First Bishop were announced by Bp Soosa Pakiam at the Animation Centre, Vellayambalam, Thiruvananthapuram, on July 16, 1996. Bp Vincent Samuel, was ordained the Bishop of the new diocese by Cardinal Joseph Tomko on November 1, 1996 and he took charge of the diocese on November 5, 1996. The diocese consists of the taluks of Nedumangad and Neyyatinkara except the area that was erstwhile under the Padroado.